Saturday, September 11, 2010

Hot Chocolaty Treat

Some company has made a single-serve microwavable hot brownie mix. You pour the powder in the little dish that it is packaged in, add 2 tablespoons of water, mix and microwave it for 45 seconds. The results are not bad for someone wanting a quick, hot-out-of-the-oven treat. My best buddy used to make these while standing overnight watch of the Goodyear Blimp. Pretty convenient for a time like that! But tonight as I made him one, it struck me that you should be able to do the same thing in a regular, microwavable dish for a whole lot cheaper, at home. I pulled a package of Duncan Hines brownie mix out of the cupboard and began experimenting. For my first try, I added oil and water, since this particular mix called for both. This was an epic fail; the oil sizzled up through the "brownie". I tried cooking it more and more, hoping it would take on a brownie-like appearance, but it did not. Instead, it remained a dark oily blob of dark brown that began to smoke, emitting a distinctive burned chocolate smell, and I admitted defeat.

My second try went much better. 5 tablespoons of brownie mix, a scant 2 tablespoons of water, and no oil. I zapped it at full power for 60 seconds, and took it out exclaiming with joy "This might be a brownie!"

Sure enough, as it sat for a couple minutes, it took on a fresh-out-of-the-oven-brownie consistency, which is, of course, much softer, and gooier than a fully cooled brownie. (Love the goo!) This hot, steamy chocolatiness got topped with some vanilla ice cream, providing me with a quick, yummy, bedtime treat. I wasn't really hungry, and I certainly didn't need the calories, but I couldn't let this success go...well...uneaten!

No comments:

Post a Comment